Meet Rahm Emanuel, President-elect Barack Obama's (YAY!) new chief of staff (possibly).
UPDATE: (1pm): Rahm acccepts the gig.
I've been reading up on him tryna get a sense of who he is. All I knew about him prior to this was that he was tough and kind of an asshole.
A few interesting things Tyler has learned today:
- Rahm's a ballet dancer, y'all. That's kinda gangsta.
- He was the inspiration for Josh Lyman on The West Wing. Intriguing, I preferred Toby.
- His brother, Ari, was the inspiration for Ari Gold of Entourage. Eh, Piven's role and performance are grossly overrated. I'm all about Kevin Dillon's total commitment to loser Drama.
- He orchestrated the big Dem win in 2006. Sweet!
- The left wing of the Democratic Party kinda hates him. As a lefty guy, this gives me pause.
- He's a Clintonista, who smacked Bill down for his behavior during the primaries. That's real gangsta.
I don't know about this choice. On the one hand – bringing Chicago style politics to Washington doesn't seem to me, on the face of it, to be the kind of change that brings the nation together. On the other hand – it's looks like Rahm is the only cat who can keep the Dems in line and lord and buddha and nem know that this will be essential to Obama's success.